Virtual cards can be created for many different use cases. Some customers like to create a card for each vendor so managing cards and vendors is easier. (If a card is compromised, all you have to do is cancel that single virtual card and create a new one for that one vendor.) Some customers like to create cards for a subscription with a set expiration date so it’s easier to manage subscriptions. And other customers simply like being able to create a card for a one time or recurring purchase.
In this article, we’ll cover how budget owners create virtual cards to pay vendors and subscriptions. Note: The steps in this article do not apply for budget members. To learn how budget owners create virtual cards, click here.
Some things to keep in mind:
Virtual cards can be created on both the web and the mobile app.
Admins and budget owners can create virtual cards for other people in any role in Divvy (owners, members, or admins).
Virtual cards must be assigned to a single cardholder.
The only person who can see the full card numbers for this new virtual card will be the assigned cardholder. Admins and budget owners can view the last four digits of the card number to keep track of spending on that card but the rest of the card number will not be visible to them.
Creating virtual cards for vendors on the web:
There are two ways to create virtual cards on the web app. One way is from the Budgets page, under Spend Limits. And the second way is from the Cards page.
To create vendor cards from the Budget page follow the steps below:
1. Log into Divvy from the web.
2. Click on the Budgets page.
3. Select the budget you would like to create a virtual card for, then click on Create card.
4. Name your virtual card. (This is usually something that helps you easily identify the card, such as the vendor's name it’s being created for.) The active budget will be automatically entered.
5. Under the card funds section, select the funding source:
Budget Funds are used for creating virtual cards for anyone in the budget. You’ll need to select a card type, set a card limit and assign a card holder.
Your funds are used for creating a virtual card for yourself. This will use your assigned budget funds directly so you won’t need to set a limit.
6. Select a Card Type
Subscription Card is a type of virtual card that you can create with a monthly recurring limit. When you set a limit for the card, it will allocate funds directly from the associated budget.
Burner Cards are non-recurring so once your funds are gone, they're gone. You can choose to set an expiration date for this card, but this is optional.
7. Set a Monthly card limit based on the funds available in the selected budget. There are two fields that relate to each card.
The "recurring amount" is the limit that will be used on all future months.
The current month's amount is the limit that you want to start with today. If you have any questions about the difference, click the "i" icon next to "recurring amount".
8. Assign a cardholder who can see and manage this card number in Divvy.
The cardholder assigned to the vendor card cannot be changed later.
9. If applicable, pre-fill the field options that need to be completed on virtual card transactions. This will help speed up the process of completing and reconciling the transactions at the end of the month.
9. Once all information has been entered, click Create Card to create your new vendor virtual card.
Virtual cards can also be created by navigating to Cards in the global navigation and clicking Create New Card. If virtual cards are created using this method, an active budget will need to be selected. Follow steps 5-10 above for creating virtual cards from the Cards screen.
Note: The only person who can see the full card numbers for this new virtual card will be the assigned cardholder. Admins and budget owners can view the last four digits of the card number to keep track of spending on that card but the rest of the card number will not be visible to them.
Creating vendor cards on mobile:
You can also create virtual cards on mobile:
1. Log in to the Divvy mobile app and select Budgets from the bottom menu.
2. From the three dots menu, select Create card
3. Input required information before pressing Save.
The only person who can see the full card numbers for this new virtual card will be the assigned cardholder. Admins and budget owners can view the last four of the card number to keep track of spending on that card but the rest of the card number will not be visible to them.
Virtual cards can also be created from your Wallet by pressing the +Card button in the upper right corner of the screen.