With Divvy, virtual cards can help simplify and secure company spending. There are several types of virtual cards and different methods to manage each. You can create a virtual card in the mobile app or the web. Here, we will break down the difference between a member virtual card and a budget virtual card.
Member Virtual Cards are tied directly to the funds from a budget that have been divvied to a user. You can spend these "member" funds on your physical card or a member virtual card.
- Funds pull directly from what has been divvied to the user. (member funds)
- Unique card number, security code, etc. (provides extra security for online transactions.)
- Have a member card for each online vendor they use (one for amazon, one for google, on for apple, etc.)
- Card numbers are unique. If fraudulent transactions appear on one card, it will be isolated to that card (you want have to go through and change your card number on every single online vendor you have.)
- You can create as many member cards as you need
- Member cards can only be created from the mobile app
To learn how to create a member card click here.
- Budget cards pull funds from the budget they are assigned to.
- Budget cards can only be assigned one budget and one owner.
- Budget cards are given a limit. This reserves funds from the budget for the budget card directly.
- Budget cards can be created for any type of role (owner, member, admin.)
- Budget cards are especially useful for subscription services, that’s why there is a budget card that we call a subscription card.
- You can set a budget virtual card as a burner card. This will default to a 7 day expiration. There is an option to change this expiration date.
Subscription cards work seamlessly with the budget they are assigned to. Just like personal funds, the funds assigned to a subscription card will reset each month to the amount determined in the forecast of the budget.
To learn how to create a budget card click here.
Thanks for reading the article!
If you have any additional questions you can reach out to us through our customer success chat.